Instead of spending Memorial Day rubbing my feet against the sand in some tropical destination, I’ll be taking a dip in the pool at my condo. I haven’t had a vacation in two years, It’s long overdue. So to imagine I am in some glamorous destination like St.Barts or Aruba, I’ll be drinking this Piña Colada recipe poolside with friends. Piña Coladas are so quick and easy to make because they only require four ingredients: Pineapples, Bananas,Rum, and Coconut Milk.
2 cups ice
1 cup of fresh cut or frozen pineapple
½ cup of Captain Morgan Pineapple Rum
½ cup of Captain Morgan Coconut Rum
1 cup coconut milk
Add ice, pineapple, rum, coconut milk, and banana to blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into 4 glasses. Garnish with cherries and pineapples.
Disclaimer: Rum provided by Captain Morgan
About once a week I have someone reach out to me asking me for advice about how to start a blog. I flattered but I don’t have time to sit down with everyone to tell them how to start a blog. So today I’m launching my new blogging 101 series. Today’s topic focuses on everything you need to ask yourself before you start a blog.
When someone tells me they want to start a blog I say, why? Today’s series answers all the puzzling statements I’ve heard from aspiring bloggers.
1. I’m in it for the perks! : Wrong answer! I have so many people come to me and say I want to start a blog so I can get free stuff and make money. When I started my blog 5 years I can only remember a handful of bloggers that were making a regular income or doing partnerships with brands. I started my blog years ago because I wanted an outlet where I could share my passions about food, shopping, design, and things to do around Atlanta. Everything I share on here is what my best friends come to for when asking for advice. It’s took 3 years to really get this off the ground to make it a brand. Others have been more successful in a shorter amount of time but that all comes with hard work and dedication. Lots of long hours. If you aren’t will to stay up until midnight this isn’t for you. Blogging isn’t an easy feat.
2. I want a blog but I hate writing. Well why do you want a blog again? Good content drives traffic. Your blog needs to be searchable by the Google gods. If you don’t have a lot of content how will people find you.
3. I just want to launch my blog right away. Make sure you have a vision lined up first. I played around with branding and names for at least three months before I revealed it to the public.
4. Invest! I hate seeing bloggers who have good content but a horrible design. Invest! Invest! Invest! You have to have a clear focus on what you want your brand to say and mean. Your blog is like your outfit it’s says everything about you before you open your mouth. You want to stand up but want to look good and you also don’t want to look like a copy cat. Hire a designer or find a good clean template. ( there are so many resources on etsy and Pinterest)
5. Be active on social media. Sign up for Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook. Follow all of your favorite bloggers and see what they are doing. Participate in Twitter chats and Pinterest parties about what you love. This is a great way to grow your social media following. Social media growth is all about engagement. I grew my Pinterest following to close to 10k because I’m always pinning.
Part two coming soon: Your blogging tool kit
Spring and Fall are two of my favorite seasons because the weather is just right. This spring in Georgia has been really rainy so far, which is horrible when you are trying to have a good hair day. Luckily this weekend the sun was shining and I was able to get outside and soak up the rays while getting some work done. I headed to a local cafe to sit outside and journal while enjoying a nice cup of tea.
The great thing about sunny weather is you can always look forward to having a #BadAssHairDay. There’s no need to pull your hair back into a ponytail when the sun is shining just right. Thanks to the folks at OGX Beauty, I’m now always going to have a good hair day. For their new #BadAssHairDay campaign, I’ve joined a few select bloggers to show you how to have a productive day and make everyday a #BadAssHairDay.
In order to have a productive Sunday, I have to start my day at church, followed by a yoga session, then a trip to the farmers market or whole foods to shop for the week, and then it usually ends with a dinner with my family or at home alone. I tend to overload my weekends, so sometimes it’s nice to just sit outside and mediate while the wind blows in your hair.
OGX Beauty currently has a #HairorDare challenge on Instagram, and you can be involved too! Follow @OGX_Beauty and the #BadAssHairDay and #HairorDare hashtags. Share photos of your Bad Ass Hair Days or do one of the #HairorDare challenges for a chance to win prizes.
Disclosure: This blog post is sponsored by OGX Beauty and I am being compensated for this post.
Photos taken by: Jessica Dawson
Happy Cinco de Mayo! I hope you are planning to celebrate with friends. Tonight I am staying in but I’m looking forward to enjoying my slow cooker chicken fajitas. Cinco de Mayo wouldn’t be Cinco de Mayo without some delicious cocktails. Thanks to the team at Desperados Beer, I’ve created this refreshing cocktail recipe based on a recipe I found from Rachael Ray. Desperados Beer is a tequila barrel-aged lager. The lemonade gives the drink a feminine touch.
What are your plans for cinco de mayo?
Raspberry Lemonade Beer Cocktail
2 12 Bottles of Desperados Beer
1 frozen raspberry lemonade concentrate
3/4 cup vodka
1 lime, sliced
In a large pitcher, stir all ingredients together. Chill for 1 hour in the refrigerator and serve over ice.
Disclosure: All alcohol was provided by Desperados.
A couple of weeks ago I had a great opportunity come across my e-mail to host a party with Modani Furniture. Modani asked me, Egypt Sherrod from HGTV, and interior design firm Benenate Design, LLC. to host their launch event in Atlanta. Over 200 people attended the party at the luxury showroom. Wine was flowing, people were dancing, and the DJ was spinning old and new tunes.
I had never visited a Modani store before and was highly impressed with the chic designer furniture at an affordable price point. I got so many great ideas for my condo. I’m currently in the process of redecorating room by room.
Check out photos from the event below:
Thank you to everyone who attended the event!