Hey Ya’ll! It has been almost two weeks since I’ve last written a blog post. Let’s just say life has gotten the best of me lately and I haven’t had time to write a blog post or find some creative energy to do so. If you follow me on Instagram, you know that I recently graduated with my Master’s Degree in Integrated Marketing Communications from West Virginia University at the beginning of May. After 16 months of writing hundreds of research papers until the wee hours of the morning. Let’s just say this girl is tired…
In addition to having the burnt out syndrome. My weekends have been jam packed and after work all I’ve wanted to do is exercise, cook dinner, or spend time with friends. Let’s just I’ve been taking some time to myself these past few weeks to find some balance again and just breath and enjoy life. It has really been refreshing. I’ve also got some new projects I’m working on behind scenes that I’ll reveal sometime to you all in the next few months. So stay tuned!
But for now I’m back to blogging and I’ve got some exciting blog posts to share with you over the next few weeks.
You’ve probably noticed I’m been quiet around here lately. I published my last blog post in January. My life lately has been a little crazy lately with managing my full-time job, finishing up grad school and trying to fit in some me time.
I love blogging and this space is a place for me to express my creativity.
I have 10 weeks left until I’m done with grad school! Can’t wait! I’m really looking forward it to because I have a new project that I’m working on that I’ll to reveal to you this summer.
In the meantime, I’ve got some exciting new content to share with you on here.
Happy New Year! Can’t believe it’s 2017! Wishing you a happy and healthy new year.
I’ve got a lot new plans for this blog in 2017.
What to expect:
- More features about things to do in Atlanta
- Relaunching my travel series
- Adding a health and wellness column
- Adding a blogging and business advice column
- And a secret project I’m launching in summer of 2017.
Thank you for remaining a patient and loyal reader this year. In April 2017, I’ll be done with grad school which will allow me to get back to my regular routine of blogging.
The cards pictured above are from Shutterfly. It’s not too late too order some New Years cards to send to your family. Click here to view their awesome selection. They’ll also throw in a free photo book for being a loyal reader of Eat.Drink.Shop.Love.
2016 was a great year for the food, fashion, and design industry. Turmeric became the spice everyone wanted to use in their food, off the shoulder tops had a big comeback, the design industry made florals hot again. 2017 is rapidly approaching and I am already looking forward to seeing what’s going to be a popular trend in the new year. Pinterest just released its 2017 Pinterest 100 trends report earlier this month and the list is filled with a few surprises. They developed this list based on the most popular pins saved on Pinterest during 2016.
Here are the top 12 food, fashion, beauty and design trends to watch out for in 2017.
- Food is Medicine- In 2016, foods that were good for your health like turmeric saw a big upswing. Everyone, including myself, wanted to consume this powerful spice because of its known health benefits. The trend of using food as medicine is here to stay. Look for foods like grapeseed oil, jackfruit, and kimchi to pop up on your favorite restaurant menus, cookbooks, and food blogs in 2017.
- It is all about Cuban Cuisine– The travel ban to Cuba was lifted in 2016 and Americans are starting to travel to this destination again. Cuba will be the place to go in 2017 but it will also have an impact on our culinary cuisine at home. Expect to see Cuban empanadas, ropa vieja, guava inspired desserts on restaurant menus in 2017.
- Brew your own beer at home– The craft beer industry was all the rage in 2016 and local breweries were popping up everywhere. In 2017, people will want to know how to brew their own craft beers at home. So expect to see home brew kits like this one sold in grocery and liquor stores around the country.
- Camel is the new black– Camel was a popular color this fall for the fashion industry. The color is becoming a staple piece in many people’s closets. This is a trend that is here to stay in 2017.
- Statement sleeves are the new off the shoulder– Cold-shoulder tops were cool while they lasted but expect to see a lot of people wearing bell-bottom sleeves next Spring and Fall like this one.
- Men will add scarfs to their accessories collection-I was just at a holiday party and all men wearing plaid scarves with their blazers. I love that this look is becoming a trend.
- Earthy Greens–The Pantone Color of 2017 was just announced and its “Greenery”. This bright neon green color is earthy and refreshing. Based on the spring runways from Fashion Week, we can expect to see a lot of this color in our spring wardrobe.
- Natural hair and beauty will take center stage– 2017 is all about everything natural when its comes to skin care and beauty. I already rock this mantra but I’m excited to see more natural hair and beauty products on the market.
- Micro-blading is the new threading– Microblading started to generate buzz during the latter part of 2016 but it looks like this trend will become popular in 2017. This process takes a few hours so expect to block out some time on your calendar to get this done. Curious to learn how the process works? This video tutorial explains it all.
- It’s all about the Gold-plated nail- Last summer it was all about the round-shaped nail but this summer everyone will be wearing gold plated nails. I like this trend and I definitely might test this out for NYE.
- Chip and Joanna Gains made farmhouse living and reclaimed wood popular again- One of my favorite HGTV shows is Fixer Upper starring Chip and Joanna Gains. I love their farmhouse inspired designs. Their show has made farmhouse living and reclaimed wood popular again. Expect too see more of this style in 2017.
- Jewel tones take a strong note-Jewel tones are expected to dominate the design industry in 2017. Vibrant colors like emerald greens will bring homes to life.
What trends are you looking forward to seeing in 2017?
Fall is officially here and flying by very fast. There’s nothing like cuddling up on a chilly fall day reading a good book and drinking hot cocoa. I recently went on a book shopping binge and brought a dozen of great new fall releases. I love reading books and find it very therapeutic. Turning off the TV and reading a good book can take you to a whole new destination.
So today I’m sharing my fall reading list with you all. This list includes some new releases and a few old favorites.
Eat.Drink.Shop.Love’s Fall Reading Recommendations
- When God Winks at You by Squire Rushnell– I found this book in the clearance bin at Barnes and Nobles a few weeks ago. It surely is a hidden gem. I’ve been reading a chapter a week and journaling my thoughts. No matter what your religious affiliation may be, the stories in this book will pull on your heart strings and get you thinking about how God winks at you daily.
- The Forest Feast by Erin Gleeson– I discovered this book on a recent trip to Anthropologie. The colorful cover of the Forest Feast immediately stood out to me. Each page of this cookbook is filled with beautifully illustrated vegetarian recipes.
- The Forest Feast Gatherings by Erin Gleeson– After looking up the Forest Feast online, I discovered that Erin Gleeson had released two additional books. The Forest Feats for Kids and The Forest Feast Gatherings. The Forest Feast Gatherings cookbook is designed for entertaining friends in the comfort of your home. I’m not a vegetarian but I do love vegetables.
- I Modify IKEA: Furnishings from Everyone’s Favorite Store, Customized for Your Home by Charlotte Rivers– Everyone loves Ikea because of its convenience and affordability. This book shows you how to transform your Ikea furniture into something new that matches your personality.
- In the Company of Women by Grace Bonney– Famous Design Blogger Grace Bonney of Design Sponge recently hosted a book tour around the country to celebrate the launch of her new book, In the Company of Women. I was fortunate enough to hear her talk about the new book during her Atlanta tour stop. This book is one of my favorites and will be a treasure in my reading collection forever. Grace interviews women entrepreneurs and tastemakers from around the country in this book.
- Love Your Life Not Theirs by Rachel Cruze– I’m currently doing Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University through my Church and I am on baby step 2 of his process. After joining the program at my church, I started listening to Dave’s podcast and that’s where I learned about his daughter Rachel Cruze. Rachel released her first solo book where she talks about managing your money in today’s comparison world. I had the opportunity to meet Rachel Cruze while she was in Atlanta during her book signing.
- The Seasoned Life by Ayesha Curry– I’m a huge fan of Ayesha Curry, the wife of basketball player Stephen Curry. I have been watching her YouTube lifestyle videos for a while now. So I was excited when my friend gave her new cookbook to me for my birthday. This book is filled with delicious and easy to make recipes that everyone in your family will love.
- Grace not Perfection by Emily Ley– In today’s world its hard to try to live a perfect lifestyle without going crazy. Emily Ley’s new book helps women learn to remain balanced over being perfect and maintaining a strong faith.
- Daring Greatly by Brene Brown– A friend recently recommended this book by Brene Brown. It talks about the power of vulnerability which is something we all have dealt with at some point in life. This book shows you how to transform your vulnerability into something positive.
- Brodo: A Bone Broth Cookbook by Marco Canora-Soup season is officially here! This bone broth cookbook is filled with holistic recipes that are good for an immune system reset. Bone Broth has become a popular trend for foodies. I never knew about this concept until this book was given to me. I recently started making bone broth after getting this book and you can definitely tell a difference.
- Uninvited by Lysa TerKeurst– If you loved Lysa’s daily devotional Proverbs 31, you will love her latest book Uninvited. She talks about rejection and how to overcome challenges and remember you are loved.
- The Magnolia Story– I’m a huge fan of the HGTV show, Fixer Upper. Chip and Joanna Gaines are huge relationship role models of mine. I love hearing about their story. I’m currently listening to their new book on Audible. This book talks about how they built their business and family.
- Power Your Happy by Lisa Sugar– Lisa Sugar the founder of the popular website, PopSugar release her new book earlier this fall called Power Your Happy. This book encourages women to work hard while building your dream.
- Skinny Taste Fast and Slow by Gina Homolka– I’m a huge fan of the blog, Skinnytaste. Gina’s recipes are healthy and weight watchers friendly.Her new cookbook offers an array of recipe that can be made in the slow cooker.
I hope you found a few books on this list that you want to add to your collection. I would love to hear what you are reading this fall. Please leave a comment below.
*Disclaimer- A few of these books were given to me by Publishers but these opinins are my own.