2016 was a great year for the food, fashion, and design industry. Turmeric became the spice everyone wanted to use in their food, off the shoulder tops had a big comeback, the design industry made florals hot again. 2017 is rapidly approaching and I am already looking forward to seeing what’s going to be a popular trend in the new year. Pinterest just released its 2017 Pinterest 100 trends report earlier this month and the list is filled with a few surprises. They developed this list based on the most popular pins saved on Pinterest during 2016.
Here are the top 12 food, fashion, beauty and design trends to watch out for in 2017.
- Food is Medicine- In 2016, foods that were good for your health like turmeric saw a big upswing. Everyone, including myself, wanted to consume this powerful spice because of its known health benefits. The trend of using food as medicine is here to stay. Look for foods like grapeseed oil, jackfruit, and kimchi to pop up on your favorite restaurant menus, cookbooks, and food blogs in 2017.
- It is all about Cuban Cuisine– The travel ban to Cuba was lifted in 2016 and Americans are starting to travel to this destination again. Cuba will be the place to go in 2017 but it will also have an impact on our culinary cuisine at home. Expect to see Cuban empanadas, ropa vieja, guava inspired desserts on restaurant menus in 2017.
- Brew your own beer at home– The craft beer industry was all the rage in 2016 and local breweries were popping up everywhere. In 2017, people will want to know how to brew their own craft beers at home. So expect to see home brew kits like this one sold in grocery and liquor stores around the country.
- Camel is the new black– Camel was a popular color this fall for the fashion industry. The color is becoming a staple piece in many people’s closets. This is a trend that is here to stay in 2017.
- Statement sleeves are the new off the shoulder– Cold-shoulder tops were cool while they lasted but expect to see a lot of people wearing bell-bottom sleeves next Spring and Fall like this one.
- Men will add scarfs to their accessories collection-I was just at a holiday party and all men wearing plaid scarves with their blazers. I love that this look is becoming a trend.
- Earthy Greens–The Pantone Color of 2017 was just announced and its “Greenery”. This bright neon green color is earthy and refreshing. Based on the spring runways from Fashion Week, we can expect to see a lot of this color in our spring wardrobe.
- Natural hair and beauty will take center stage– 2017 is all about everything natural when its comes to skin care and beauty. I already rock this mantra but I’m excited to see more natural hair and beauty products on the market.
- Micro-blading is the new threading– Microblading started to generate buzz during the latter part of 2016 but it looks like this trend will become popular in 2017. This process takes a few hours so expect to block out some time on your calendar to get this done. Curious to learn how the process works? This video tutorial explains it all.
- It’s all about the Gold-plated nail- Last summer it was all about the round-shaped nail but this summer everyone will be wearing gold plated nails. I like this trend and I definitely might test this out for NYE.
- Chip and Joanna Gains made farmhouse living and reclaimed wood popular again- One of my favorite HGTV shows is Fixer Upper starring Chip and Joanna Gains. I love their farmhouse inspired designs. Their show has made farmhouse living and reclaimed wood popular again. Expect too see more of this style in 2017.
- Jewel tones take a strong note-Jewel tones are expected to dominate the design industry in 2017. Vibrant colors like emerald greens will bring homes to life.
What trends are you looking forward to seeing in 2017?
A few months ago on a trip to Earthfare, I discovered a line of all-natural beauty products by a company called Pacifica. A representative from the brand was in-store the day I was shopping and gave me a few samples to try. Well I’m absolutely hooked and have been using their products ever since. I had no clue they also sold their line at Target and Ulta.
In a conversation earlier in the summer, my friend asked me what was my beauty secret to getting smooth and perfect skin. I laughed and responded lotion and good genes. Until discovering Pacifica’s vital immersion deep hydrating mask and restorative roll-on face oil I didn’t have a moisturizing routine. I know the beauty experts are cringing as they are reading this post but the Pacifica brand has been a lifesaver. The deep hydrating mask can be worn overnight and the roll-on face oil I like to apply in the morning because it promotes good circulation.
The Pacifica line is just what I needed to simplify my all-natural beauty routine. What I love most about the Pacifica brand is that it’s 100% natural, organic and nontoxic.
I’ve kinda become a fitness junkie lately to prepare for my up coming trip to Aruba. The Pacifica enzymatic exfoliating wipes have been a real treat to my skin after a sweaty session at the bar. These peach and apricot infused wipes help remove dead skin cells and brighten your skin.
Words cannot express how much I’ve fallen in love with this line. I’m a strong believer in all things made from the earth.
*These products were sent to me by Pacifica in partnership with their exclusive line for Ulta. My opinions are my own.
* This post is sponsored by Always Liners as a part of their #WhatsAlwaysOnMe program.
I’m always getting compliments on my handbags but I never share what’s in my bag. It’s something I’ve wanted to do for years but just never got around to it. Most of the time it’s filled with junk because I’m always in the rush and on the go. I’m currently carrying this reversible tote bag that I snagged while I was in Dallas last year from a store called St.Bernards Sports. I’m currently using the tan side of the bag but plan to switch to the red side for fall football season. Roll Tide! Its lightweight and can carry all of my everyday essentials.
Take a peek to see what’s in my bag below:
- Makeup– my mom always said never leave the house without lipstick on; well sometimes I forget! So I usually toss my Bobbi Brown bronzer, my Jouer hydrating lipstick, my LAQA & Co. lip pencil, some EOS lip balm, and my Benefit mascara and bronzer.
- Toiletries– It’s always important to make sure you stay fresh while on the go, so I always make sure to carry a few Always Xtra Protection Liners with me in my purse.
- Cell Phone– Got to have my cell phone with me at all times. I don’t know what
I would do without it.
- Vitamins– I’m obsessive about my health and I take a ton of multivitamins in addition to probiotics. These Rainbow Light vegan multivitamins have been a lifesaver.
- Wallet– It took me a while to find the perfect wallet that could fit all of my cards. I found this wallet in Dallas last year and it’s been a lifesaver.
- Water– I drink about 4 bottles of water a day so you will always find a bottle of water in my bag.
- Receipts– I wish retailers would all have the e-mail your receipt program because I’m always toting around a ton of receipts in my bag.
I’m back with another installment of my Around Atlanta series. In today’s Around Atlanta series, I recently visited Heat Lounge, a blowout salon in Atlanta to get my hair done. Heat Lounge has two locations in the Atlanta area one in Buckhead and one in Dunwoody. I booked my appointment at the Dunwoody hair salon. The Dunwoody salon not only does blowouts but they also do cuts, color, treatments, and makeup. This is your one stop shop before a night on the town.
Once you arrive you’ll be offered a glass of water, wine, mimosa, or champagne. Then you’ll meet your stylist at their chair and you’ll talk about what you were thinking about doing to your hair that day. Once you’ve chatted you’ll be taken to their washing room for a nice relaxing shampoo and conditioning treatment followed by a head massage.
My stylist did a great job on my blowout. He took time to learn about my hair and what I did and didn’t like done on my hair. They currently use all Moroccan Oil products.
I also had my makeup done by their onsite makeup artist Laura.
After having a stressful week, a visit to the salon was just what I needed.
Last weekend, Birchbox made a pit stop in Atlanta while on its summer Birchbox Road Trip. If you’ve been following my blog for years you know I’m a huge fan of Birchbox and their business model. I had the opportunity a few years ago to take a tour of their office in New York. So it was nice to have the team here in my city. I stopped by the pop up event on Saturday. The lines were long for people waiting to get in so I decided to come back later in the afternoon when it was a little bit cooler. To my luck when I arrived before closing for the day, I was able to walk right through the space.
Birchbox and Birchbox Man were on site selling their favorite products from the online retail shop. Birchbox Women was on one side and Birchbox Man was on the other. Visitors to the popup can build their own Birchbox or shop the full size products from the retail shop. I decided to use my Birchbox points to purchase a few new full-size products. I ended finding a new lipstick color from Jouer Cosmetics and two new nail polishes from Floss Gloss. Because I purchase $40 worth of merchandise the Birchbox team threw in a wishing necklace for free.
Also at the pop-up girls and guys can take advantage of a few of the free beauty treatments Birchbox is offering.
Atlanta is the first stop on the three-city tour. So if you are in Chicago or Los Angeles check out their website to see when Birchbox is coming to you. If you do stop by don’t forget to share you experience on social media using the hashtag #birchboxinmycity.