Breakfast is my favorite meal! When I have time to make breakfast in the morning it completely sets my day. If I made breakfast 9 times out of 10, I know it’s going to be a good day.
I try to sway away from the turkey bacon and eggs every once in a while to switch things up. This weekend I had leftover butternut Squash that I needed to use from this salad I made. So I made butternut squash breakfast tacos with an avocado Crema. It’s pretty easy to make and affordable too! I love that all of the ingredients are less than $10.
Check out the recipe below.
Butternut Squash Breakfast Tacos
1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin
½ cup canned black beans
1 garlic clove, smashed and peeled, diced
4 eggs, scrambled
8 corn tortillas, white or yellow
1 small avocado, thinly sliced
2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1 fresh lime, cut into wedges
1/8 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp chili powder
1/4 cup non fat-Greek yogurt
hot sauce to serve, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Peel the butternut Squash, cut into small chunks. In a small bowl toss squash with salt, olive oil, chili powder, and cumin. Place on a non-stick baking sheet and roast for 20-25 minutes.
2. While the squash is roasting, add black beans, garlic, bay leaf, and salt to a small sauce pan. Cook until it begins to boil.
3. In your food processor, add avocado, garlic, cumin, Greek yogurt, cilantro and lime. Pulse until Puréed.
4. Toast tortillas in the oven until the edges become slightly brown.
5. Layer tacos with scrambled egg, black beans, butternut squash and avocado crema. Add hot sauce( optional)