Living with Crohn’s Disease

You may remember that I was in the hospital a few weeks ago with a rapid heart rate and stomach virus. Little did I know that the next two weeks would be spent in doctors offices filled with follow up appointments. My doctor in the hospital recommended I see a GI doctor about some digestive issues I had been dealing with over the past 9 months. So I went to my new GI doctor and she recommended I have a colonoscopy and an endocosopy. So I spent a day on an air-plane back to Atlanta from a work trip to Boston on a liquid diet and started drinking that stuff when I landed in Atlanta. Everyone told me the prep part would be the worst and they were right. The next day, I went in for my procedure which was a piece of cake. After waking up from my procedure the doctor went over my results and told me she thought I had a very mild Crohn’s Disease. I hadn’t even heard of Crohn’s Disease until the guy I’m dating and I were talking about it a few days prior.

The way it was described to me is basically my immune system is attacking it’s self in a small area of my intestine. With proper diet and medicine the disease can be treated but not cured permanentely. With stress Crohn’s can flare up which is what I have been going through. The goal at this point is to put my body in remission. Because my condition is in such a small area and very mild, I have a good chance of putting it in remission for years.

So I worked with two dietitian friends to create a diet for me and I’m planning out ways to eliminate stress. As much as I love food and wine, I have to rethink how I incorporate those in my diet. So the recipes on my blog will be taking a 360 degree over the next few months as I get my health back in order. I’m also working on my time management skills so that the blog is better organized. I think this is a way of God slowing me down to soak up my surroundings and show I don’t always have to do everything. I often overload my days with work and spending evenings at events around town. So I’ve been spending these past few weeks reflecting on my diagnosis.

I would love to hear from my readers who may have crohn’s or know someone who has it. My family and friends have been amazing so far during this difficult time.

email Living with Crohns Diseasefacebook Living with Crohns Diseasepinterest Living with Crohns Diseasetwitter Living with Crohns Disease

7 Comments on Living with Crohn’s Disease

1. Lauren at Keep It Sweet
    July 18, 2014 at 7:21 AM (2 months ago)

I’m sorry you are having to go through this but it is amazing that you are looking to the positives in the situation. I have a good friend that was diagnosed with Crohn’s a few years ago and I think that every day is a learning experience regarding what foods work best in her diet. I’ve definitely heard stories of people changing their diets and being symptom-free for a very long time!

2. Cherie's
    July 18, 2014 at 9:07 AM (2 months ago)

Thank you for be wiling to open up about your health challenges. You will inspire others!

3. Amy
    July 18, 2014 at 11:06 PM (2 months ago)

Wishing you well Jewel! Changing out dietary habits isn’t easy but I know you’ll find a way to enjoy food that is right for your body. Feel better soon!

4. Dee Dee
    July 20, 2014 at 12:06 AM (2 months ago)

I read the title and my heart just dropped. *sigh* My mother has Chron’s Disease, and yes reducing your stress is the #1 most important thing when having this autoimmune disease. I’m definitely praying for you and let me know if you ever have any questions or just need to talk. *insert huge hug* Also I know of a young woman who also has Chron’s who would be a great resource should you want to speak with a young person who has been living with the disease for awhile. Just let me know.

5. BlitzAndGlam
    July 21, 2014 at 2:10 AM (2 months ago)

I pray that everything goes smoothly as you make the necessary changes in your life!

6. Molly
    July 21, 2014 at 7:56 PM (2 months ago)

Hello. I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis when I was 11 and now am in some sort of limbo between it and Crohn’s. I go into remission for about a year and then come out because mine is severe and there’s not a ton that can be done about it. I am trying out traditional Chinese medicine soon (acupuncture and herbs), so fingers crossed on that.

I’m 24 now and have been chugging along. I know tons of tips, tricks, and the like. If you ever want someone to scream at or hug, give me a shout.

I know all about it, from the gross to the sad to the painful. Haha.

Shoot me an e-mail if you ever wanna talk.

7. Pixie Brenda
    August 26, 2014 at 6:12 PM (3 weeks ago)

Hi there… I just read this post and I just wanted to wish you well. I know a couple of people with very, very bad cases of Crohn’s and I also used to work for the Gastroenterology department at a local hospital so I’ve seen people who have had really bad bouts with the disease.
    You are right in taking control of it right from the start. Reduce your stress and watch your diet and you can control it for a long. I wish you the very, very best!!!